The Do’s and Don’ts of Gym Clothing
It’s one thing to make the commitment to go to a gym or work with a personal trainer. It’s another to have the right equipment. And one of the most important pieces of exercise equipment is the clothes you wear. But with millions spent every year advertising thousands of products, it can be difficult to know what’s right for you. So we’ve picked our some of our favorites, and some of not so favorites, for you to make a smarter clothing purchase.
THE BEST FABRICS
You can wear almost any cut or color of garment out there, but the fabric itself has to be right. There are a lot of disagreements regarding whether some fabrics work or don’t (most specifically, cotton), so this is partially a matter of opinion. But we think you’ll enjoy these just as much as we do.
- Polyester - gym frequenters love this fabric because it doesn’t wrinkle easily. But, because it’s a cloth made out of plastic, it’s also non absorbent, meaning sweat evaporates instead of soaking into your shirt. The only downside to keep in mind is that it does tend to stink up quickly, which is definitely not enjoyable.
- Nylon - if you’ve ever felt a pair of women’s stockings, then you know what nylon feels like. Now imagine that turned into a soft, breathable workout top. And if you stretch it out, it’ll recover very well, meaning clothing lasts longer.
- Spandex - the specialty of spandex is that it can expand up to 600 percent of its own size. This makes the fabric perfect for pants, tops, and any other garment that you need to stretch and move with you during an exercise. The icing on top is that it dries quickly, so you don’t have to feel icky after a tough workout.
- Polypropylene - polypropylene is similar to polyester in the fact that it’s made out of plastic. But it is vastly improved thanks to its complete water resistance. That means you stay dry no matter how much weight you lift or how far you run.
- Bamboo - you probably didn’t expect this on the list. It has all the moisture wicking and breathable benefits you want, and is also crazy soft. Plus, it’s been proven to actually regulate your body temperature to a lower level, keeping you feeling cool on a hot run.
WHAT NOT TO WEAR
Now that you know what you’re looking for, let’s talk about what you need to avoid at all costs. Some of these will seem obvious, but others not so much. We’ve spent hours in the gym ourselves, so we understand the ins and outs and we have you covered.
- Jewelry - this, and a couple other items on our list, all deal with the fact that the gym is a dangerous place. There is a lot of heavy duty equipment and people all moving at a different pace. It’s asking for trouble. And your necklace or earrings are prone to get caught on something or someone. And when that happens, you could be choked or tugged in a very unpleasant way. Leave the bling at home.
- 100% Cotton Clothing - there’s a reason this was not on our list of recommended fabrics. While some cotton is okay, 100% cotton doesn't wick away moisture like sweat at all. You would end up weighed down and at risk for rashes and bad reactions.
- Too Loud Earbuds - you need to be fully aware of your surroundings while in the gym. Many will play workout music to stay in the zone and get pumped for the session. But you also need to be able to hear if someone talks to you or a piece of equipment falls. Stay alert!
- Perfumes or Colognes - did you know that perfumes, colognes, and other fragrances are activated by body heat? And did you know that your body heats up while you work out? While everyday activities make your perfume smell pleasant, that much activation will make it too strong. This leads to a major headache or migraine that will then cut your gym session unfortunately short.
- Baggy Clothing - it’s a common image of a man or woman in a shirt two sizes too big and pants hanging loose. But this could actually be dangerous at a gym. It could catch or snag on a piece of equipment, putting you at risk for injury. Tighter fitting clothing, but not skin tight, is the best way to go.
Now you’re all set to hit the weights! Go out, pick out the workout ensemble of your dreams, and prepare to get to work. And when you’re ready, we have you covered with only the best of personal trainers. We find the one that works for you and who will design the right routine to meet your individualized goals at a healthy rate. Don’t wait to start your journey; call us today!